Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Lungo Tevere

Sunday afternoon I went out for a long walk. Now that I live right in the touristy part of Rome, I can get to something famous just by walking. Since I still didn't have a good map, I decided I would just take a walk along the Tiber river--"lungo Tevere". One of the oldest parts of Rome lies on one side of the Tiber River, called Trastevere. Eventually, I will make my way to some of the particular sites there.

This is part of the wall that extends from the Vatican to Castel Sant'Angelo. It is only about 4 blocks from where I live.
Another view of the wall.
Close-up of the bricks.

I made my way along this wall to Castel Sant'Angelo.

Then I started my walk along the river. As I was taking photos, an Italian man approached me and said that there would be a lot of opportunities for me to take pictures. This was his way of starting a conversation.... Like many other people, he had so many questions he always wanted to ask a Sister and never had the opportunity. Let me tell you, it's hard enough to explain why I became a sister and in English--let alone in Italian. Oh well, God knows just where to put me....

Reached my destination--Isola Tibertina--a beautiful island where a group of religious men have a hospital. Gorgeous.

Icing on the cake--ancient buildings like can be seen at times along this route. More to be seen once I have a map that will help guide me through the streets of Rome.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Sr. Bernadette,

    Congratulations on your new assignment in Rome. You take such nice pictures--lovely blog. I've been to some of these place but they look more gorgeous in your posting.

    Wishing you a most wonderful life in Rome. I hope to see you at the centenary celebration of Pauline Family, if not earlier.

    Keep us posted.

    Jesus Master, Way, Truth and Life, have mercy on us.
    Mary Queen of Apostles, pray for us.
    Blessed James Alberione, pray for us.
    Venerable Mother Thecla Merlo, pray for us.
    Blessed Timothy Giaccardo, pray for us.

    Let's keep each other in our prayers.

    In Christ's peace,
    Margie Skeels
    Pauline Cooperator - NYC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures. Thanks so much for sharing them! I'm so glad you started this blog again. I can live through you until I can come and visit you some day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, Sr. Bernadette! I can not wait until the day we'll be together exploring Rome:). Lots of love & prayers.

    ReplyDelete