Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Carnivale

Carnivale is a big deal here in Rome. Not quite like in New Orleans, but it certainly has traditions here that are new to me. For a whole week, children dress up in costumes--like our Halloween. So, I saw cats, and Winnie the Pooh's, and Zoros, and lady bugs. Cute kids!

We got together with the student community that lives two floors below us. And we had such a good time. I baked cookies--a Canadian recipe. They were a hit. And of course, we dressed up too.

With the consistory the day before, of course someone had to dress up like a cardinal.
And every cardinal needs an altar server! Thank God I brought jeans with me!
They came in handy for this little altar boy!
Yours truly--closest I'll ever get to the mafia!
Sr Francesca is with me. She is Italian, but was a missionary in Romania for 10 years before returning last September to finish her theological studies.
Sr Ancilla from Korea and Sr Giovanna--our two "white hats".
The two students from Pakistan entertained us with a dance. The sister who introduced them (seated behind them in a Pakistani yellow/brown outfit) told us that we would not be able to understand the song they danced to. It was pretty obvious that it was a love song because they kept tapping their hearts at certain times. At the end of the song, the sister told us that she would now translate the song into Italian and that it could be summed up in two words: I love you (Ti amo in Italian).
Whew! The candles they use on cakes are awesome! They are like mini fireworks.

Does this really need a caption? Pecans coated with egg white and brown sugar....
Best cookies I have EVER had.


I contributed to the festivities by organizing a game. I wrote something up about how confusing it is to learn directions again in another language--you know, right, left, up, down, etc. Before I left, one of the sisters in our community in Boston played a game that told the Nativity Story and every time we heard the words right, and left, no matter how the word was used, we passed a bag containing a gift in that direction. I modified it a little to fit the Italian situation, and added up and down and straight ahead. Well, the sisters were laughing so hard at a certain point, that they couldn't hear me anymore. It was a lot of fun.

Now about the book center. Last week I helped out in the Spanish section, and this week I am in the French section. While I understand Spanish fairly well, and can speak it enough to make myself understood, it was hopeless in the speaking category last week. Keeping Italian and Spanish separate is quite quite difficult. No problem with the French, can't speak a word of it. However, as I am taking an inventory by hand (please don't laugh) in the French section, I am beginning to discover how many English words are similar to French. If only the pronunciation were the same.... Oh well, can't have it all!

2 comments:

  1. French & Spanish are quite similar! :) With the french it's more "nasal" and you kind of run all of the syllables together, where as in Spanish, you sound out each syllable. :) At least that's what I got out of my French & Spanish classes. :) I got pretty good at reading & writing in French. But I have a problem "hearing" the words and understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and may I get that recipe for those cookies?? Sounds sooo yummy and we are gluten free now!

    ReplyDelete