Thursday, April 19, 2012

Lord You Never Cease to Amaze Me

About 4 years ago when I was in New York, I went with another sister to a pre-release viewing of Enchanted. A couple sitting behind us introduced themselves to us--they were quite intrigued to see two nuns in the theater. That chance meeting kicked in a succession of events that ....

Some time later, I accepted an invitation from BustedHalo to participate in a Young Adult retreat and make myself available to any of the young women who might want to talk. There was a young woman there who I thought looked awfully familiar. I sat near her during lunch, and the gentleman who was sitting next to her looked familiar too. But the more I tried to figure out where I had seen them again, the more puzzled I became. Finally, the young woman refreshed my memory--they were the couple that had been sitting behind us when we saw Enchanted.

Later in the afternoon, this young woman came to speak to me. She revealed a deep fear that she had regarding having children. I don't remember what I said to her, but since I left New York I have often wondered how she was doing and what her final decision was regarding having a child. Well, yesterday I got my answer!

I saw on facebook that it was this young woman's birthday. So I sent her a birthday greeting, wishing her an Enchanted year. Her response to me blew me away: "WELL Said SISTER! Life has become Enchanted since I met you! You are right about motherhood. Thank you for your valuable advice! I can not tell you the impact of your provided words. All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you!" Then I noticed a baby in her profile picture! And this baby's middle name is the same as mine!

Incredible. Since yesterday I have remained absolutely amazed and filled with a sense of wonder and gratitude. Somehow, the words the Lord inspired me with have given life to another human being. Another human being is breathing, is giving joy to her parents, is being held in the loving embrace of the Father because I went to see Enchanted, because I was invited to a retreat.... This is one of the greatest blessings that I have ever received.

"My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord and my spirit exalts in God my Savior.
For he has looked with mercy on my lowliness....
For he who is mighty has done great things for me
and holy is His name."

3 comments:

  1. You are amazing instrument of God's love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ithat was me joe payne

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! Thank you for saying yes, not just once, but over and over again.

    ReplyDelete